Chinese, Turkish and Bulgarian Firms Bidding for Construction of the Tunnel under Shipka
The public procurement for design and construction envisions the construction of a 10.553 km section, of which 7.6 km are new construction and 2.9 km are reconstruction of the existing I-5 Gabrovo – Kazanlak road, as well as 5 tunnels with a total length of 4.011 km. The tunnel beneath Shipka will be 3.22 km long. The remaining 4 tunnels are shorter –171 m, 240 m, 90 m, and 290 m, respectively. Six bridges and 1 underpass will be constructed additionally, as well as 12 reinforced embankments, one reinforced concrete bulkhead wall, one reinforced concrete retaining wall, etc. The indicative value of the contract is BGN 267,225,010 excluding VAT.
The open tenders are from:
- “DUYGU MÜHENDİSLİK İNŞAAT TURİZM DIŞ TİCARET VE SANAYİ LIMITED ŞİRKETİ” OOD;
- DZZD Consortium “PSVT”, with participants: “Patni Stroezhi – Veliko Tarnovo“ AD, “Hydrostroy” AD and “Patengineeringstroy-T” EAD;
- KOLIN İNŞAAT TURİZM SANAYİ VE TİCARET AD;
- “SHIPCHENSKI PROHOD” ASSOCIATION, with participants: “TRACE GROUP HOLD” AD C AND “ALVE CONSULT” EOOD.;
- DZZD “Tunel Shipka”, with participants: “DOUSH INŞAAT VE TİCARET”AD, “VIA CONSTRUCT GROUP” EOOD. and “VIA PLAN” EOOD.;
- “GEOPAT SHIPKA” Association, with participants: “Geostroy” AD and “Patstroy - 92” AD;
- CHINA COMMUNICATIONS CONSTRUCTION COMPANY LTD.
The tunnel under the Shipka peak will be located 1 km to the west of the Shipka pass and 1 km to the east of Malusha peak. The northern part of the tunnel will be in Gabrovo District and the southern part will be in Stara Zagora District. It will have two traffic lanes, two guiding strips, and two sidewalks.
The period for the construction and assembly works is 1,280 calendar days or nearly 3.5 years.
The facility will be a junction point for traffic in the north-south direction, and will allow crossing of the Balkan Mountains in the central part of Bulgaria. The main transport routes it will serve are: Ruse – Veliko Tarnovo – Shipka – Stara Zagora – Svilengrad (Makaza) and Oryahovo – Sevlievo – Shipka – Stara Zagora – Svilengrad (Makaza).
It is envisaged that the project “Design and construction of the site: “Bypass of the town of Gabrovo from km 20+124.50 to km 30+673.48, including tunnel under Shipka peak” will be proposed for financing by the future Operational Programme “Transport Connectivity” 2021-2027.