Government Commits to Provide BGN 1.38 Billion for Completion of Hemus Motorway
The Council of Ministers has committed to providе BGN 1,380,000,000 under the budget of the Ministry of Regional Development and Public Works for the construction of the last 88.9 km of Hemus Motorway.
This is the section between the 222nd and 310th kilometres – after the connection with the road Rousse – Veliko Tarnovo to the section Belokopitovo – Bukhovtsi, currently under construction. To this end, the amount of commitments for spending that the Ministry of Regional Development and Public Works can make in 2019 is increasing. This is aimed at planning the completion of the motorway from Sofia to Varna.
The funds will be designated for the preparation of detailed designs and the execution of construction and assembly works in the section until 2022. Of these, BGN 483,000,000 will be allocated to MRDPW budget for 2019 for forthcoming payments.
Last year, the government provided BGN 1.3 billion for the construction of 134 km in the section from Boaza to the connection with the Ruse – Veliko Tarnovo road. The full completion of Hemus Motorway is a main priority in the Government's Management Program, since the future of Northern Bulgaria and the modernization of the region is related to the construction of the motorway and the provision of fast and safe road communication between Sofia and Varna.
The sections from Sofia to Boaza and from Belokopitovo to Varna are currently in operation, with a total length of about 180 km. The unbuilt part starting at junction Boaza and ending at Belokopitovo village, will connect already constructed sections on both sides of the motorway. The construction of Hemus Motorway is divided into the following sections:
- Section 1 is 15.26 km long. It starts from Boaza, where the section under construction will be completed, and will be until the intersection with road III-307 Lukovit – Ugarchin (km 87 +800 to km 103 +060), including the Dermantsi road junction.
- Section 2 is 19.2 km long. It is from the end of the Dermantsi road junction, at the intersection with road III-307 Lukovit – Ugarchin, to the connection with road III-3005 Raduvene - Katunets, including Kalenik road junction (from km 103 +060 to km 122 +260).
- Section 3 is 17.08 km long. It will start from the end of Kalenik road junction at the intersection with road III-3005 Radovene – Katunets to the junction with road II-35 Pleven – Lovech, including road junction Pleven (from km 122 +260 to km 139 +340).
- Section 4 is 26.8 km long. It is from the end of road junction Pleven at the intersection with road II-35 Pleven – Lovech to road III-301 Letnitsa – Lovech, including the Letnitsa road junction (from km 139 +340 to km 166 +144.09).
- Section 5 is 23.2 km long. It is from the end of the Letnitsa road junction at the intersection with road III-301 to road III-303 Butovo – Pavlikeni, including the road junction (from km 166 +144.09 to km 189 +344).
- Section 6 is 32.6 km. It starts from the end of the road junction on road III-303 Pavlikeni - Levski to road 1-5 Ruse – Veliko Tarnovo, including the road junction (from km 189 +344 to km 222 +000).
With the government's commitment of 1,380,000,000 BGN, the stretch from 222nd to 310th km will be built. The stretch is subdivided in the following three sections:
- Section 7 is 43.6 km long. It is after the intersection of road I-5 Ruse – Veliko Tarnovo to the km 265 at the intersection with the road II-51 Byala – Targovishte.
- Section 8 is 33.5 km long. The section is after the intersection with road II-51 Byala - Targovishte and ends near the connection with road II-49 Targovishte – Razgrad.
- Section 9 is 11.9 km long. This section is from the intersection with road II-49 and to the currently under construction section Belokopitovo – Buhovtsi, at the intersection of road I-4 with road III-5102.
For the construction of the three sections, a procedure is prepared for concluding a contract under Art. 14, par. 1, item 6 of the Public Procurement Act applicable to public assignors, such as the Road Infrastructure Agency, with the state company Avtomagistrali EAD. MRDPW is the sole owner of 100 % of the capital of Avtomagistrali EAD and the rights of the state in the company are exercised by the Minister of Regional Development and Public Works. RIA is a secondary budget allocator to the Minister for Regional Development and Public Works.